Below are resources discussed in the podcast episode.
*H.U.E Podcast does not necessarily endorse the views of the resources below
Divided by Faith – Emerson and Smith
White Fragility – Robin DiAngelo
The below definitions are provided to the listener as a common ground on which to discuss concepts. Guests are not required to adhere to these definitions and may challenge/provide their own in the interview.
- Ethnicity: An individual’s national origin(s), heritage, and singular or multiple cultural identity
- Culture: The characteristic features of everyday existence (such as diversions or a way of life) shared by people in a place or time (Merriam Webster)
- Social Construct: An idea that has been created and accepted by the people in a society (Merriam Webster)
- Race: A social construct where we attach social significance and meaning to certain physical characteristics (i.e. skin color). (Emerson and Smith, Divided by Faith)
- Note: the H.U.E Podcast recognizes there is only one biological race
- Racialized society: a society wherein race matters profoundly for differences in life experiences, life opportunities, and social relationships and a society that rewards or punishes along racial lines (Emerson and Smith, Divided by Faith)
- Prejudice: Pre-judgment of another person based on the social groups to which that person belongs. All humans have prejudice. Prejudice always manifests itself in action. (Diangelo, White Fragility)
- Discrimination: Action based on prejudice. Everyone discriminates. (Diangelo, White Fragility)
- Racism: a racial group’s collective prejudice backed by the power of legal authority and institutional control; a far-reaching system that functions independently from the intentions or self-images of individual actors (Diangelo, White Fragility)
- White Supremacy: a sociopolitical economic system of domination based on racial categories that benefits those defined and perceived as white. This system of structural power privileges, centralizes, and elevates white people as a group (Diangelo, White Fragility)